Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Photos from Jerusalem

Today is the last free day before the course starts at St. George's, actually tonight (Tuesday) is the opening Eucharist and reception. Then once it starts, it looks like it's going to be a great tour all over Israel- Masada, Dead Sea, Galilee, Nazareth, Bethlehem, Jerusalem, just to name a few sites. It's a 14 day tour/course, so we'll cover a lot of ground (figuratively and metaphorically). There may be some days where there is no internet access (we have an 3 day trip to Galilee), but keep checking the blog and I'll update it as I can. Then after the course, it's on to Petra, then back to Greensboro on March 30-31.

I spent today just exploring the Old City. I started with the Garden Tomb, which is actually outside the Old City. It's the second (and less widely accepted) site for Golgotha (where Jesus was crucified, the name means "the place of the skull" and I included a photo of the "skull" in the photos link) and the tomb where Jesus was laid. I realize this likely isn't THE spot, but it was a place similar to where these event took place, and in being in such a place was a truly awesome moment. Then on to the Citadel for a tour and some great photos, the tour told the story of Jerusalem over 5,000 years. Then I went to the Burnt House museum, and had a great fallafel along the way, which is a house that was recently discovered in a dig. They believe it was the house of a priest that was destroyed in 70 when the Temple/Jerusalem was sacked by the Romans. It was nice to walk around the Old City, I've never seen anything quite like it- all the shops, narrow, winding streets. Also got lost several times, but if I was just taking in the sites, I guess I wasn't lost, just didn't know where I was on the map. Shalom.

Be sure to check out the new photos- http://bit.ly/zhP9so