Sunday, August 17, 2014

August 17, 2014 - Proper 15A


            Almighty God, as you know, today is my last Sunday serving as a priest at St. Francis. Prayer is always a fitting response in times of transition, so what better way to spend this final time in the pulpit than in prayer? Today's reading from Genesis isn't quite about a departure, but rather a reunion between Joseph and his brothers who assumed that he was dead. Now, Lord, I know some of us complain about our families, but you sure did have your work cut out for you with this one. Those brothers wanted to kill Joseph, but Reuben convinces them to instead sell him into slavery. Well, as you would have it, Joseph rose through the ranks of Pharaoh's courts and became his right-hand man. When there was a famine in the land, and Joseph had instructed Pharaoh to build up a stock of extra food, his brothers journey from Canaan. Instead of telling his brothers who he is, he hides his identity and accuses them of being spies. As we heard today, Joseph reveals himself to his brothers and the family rejoices for being brought back together. That day, the emotions ran deep.
            Though today, it is goodbye that is on my mind, there is, similarly, a deep well of emotions. There is a sense of loss, as my priestly and pastoral ministry with these good people at St. Francis comes to an end. I will deeply miss them. We have held each other in prayer over the past four years. We have been with each other through the highs and lows of life. We have come to trust and love each other. And so as I leave this parish, I am aware of the hole which will be left. I pray that you fill it with grace and fondness of memories. I am glad that I will still be serving in the Diocese and will have occasion to stay connected through our common life together.
            However it is gratitude that is the most profound emotion today. Thank you, Lord, for the four years that I've had at St. Francis. In July 2010, you led me to search for a new call and brought me to St. Francis; and what a four years they have been. The years didn't quite play out the way that any of us could have ever imagined; but then again, when we follow your Son, Jesus, we should expect to be surprised. I am grateful for the time in Greensboro and at this parish. It has been our home, it is the city where our daughter was born and the parish in which she was baptized.
            I so appreciate the people of St. Francis. Each person we encounter, since they are made in your image, gives us a further glimpse into the fullness of who you are. In each Franciscan, I have caught a glimpse of the Creator of all that is, and I am so thankful for those relationships. I appreciate the friendships that have been formed, for the support that this parish has given me, and for their receptivity to my teaching and preaching. When things got intense a few years ago, the congregation thanked me by giving me the opportunity to go on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land- a wonderful experience that I will always treasure. I have grown as a priest and a person because of my ministry here and the relationships with so many Franciscans, and it is for those reasons that gratitude is the strongest emotion today.
            But again, last summer, O Lord, you began to plant the seed for a new call and helped me to discern that the time was right to begin searching for another call. I thank you for what you taught me about myself and your Church through that process. We are excited and grateful for the call to St. Luke's.
            In these past four years, over and over again, I have seen the lesson from today's gospel reading expressed. That Canaanite woman had likely heard about what happened a bit earlier in the narrative, about the loaves and fish and how everyone ate their fill, and even had leftovers. She was at the end of her rope, and so she approached Jesus and asked for help, just wanting some of those leftover crumbs. She believed that in God, there is always enough. This is something I always try to keep in focus, but also try to relay in my preaching. God, you love each of us as if there were no one else to love, and all of us as if we were but one. Thank you for your endless supply of love, I pray that we might always be aware of that love at the very core of our identity. The woman, even though she was perceived as an outsider, had a sense that God would provide out of that abundance. Thank you for all of those moments at St. Francis where you have blessed us with your grace.
            And, O God, I do ask that you continue to bless St. Francis and its mission. The Canaanite woman had to muster up a lot of courage to approach Jesus, but she did not stop when she was initially dismissed and told "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.... It is not fair to take the children's food and throw it to the dogs." What an example of persistence! I pray that that same spirit of perseverance might be granted to the people of St. Francis as they seek to do your will.
            It is interesting that, unlike many who approach Jesus, including Peter when he was sinking after walking on the water in last Sunday's reading, this woman does not ask Jesus to save her, but rather to help her. Perhaps she doesn't think that salvation is for her, or perhaps she knows that before she can be saved, that she first needs help. St. Francis continues to explore a capital campaign. Help them in that effort, especially toward the end of it brining glory to you. Help St. Francis to celebrate the joys of life, and be with them in the struggles. As I've often said, what you give us, Lord, is maximum support with minimum protection. So I pray that you continue to be with them, and that your presence is known.
            Help and guide St. Francis in ministry. I had the joy, honor, and privilege to lead the Christian Formation, Stewardship, Evangelism, Welcome, and Youth programs in my four years here. These ministries are full of wonderful people with good hearts, and I sincerely hope that they continue to thrive: help them to do so. And also help the staff of which I have been a part. Give them joy in their work, courage in their proclamation of your Truth and love, and passion for the calls that you have given to them.
            Sometimes, people have trouble with this particular passage from the gospel. They don't like the view they get of you, God. It seems that Jesus is not only rather harsh, but that he is wrong and misunderstands his mission, as he changes his mind about offering help to this woman. You often challenge us and push us further than we would like to go. In this reading, we see that boundaries are always being pushed when we become your disciples. But doing so takes courage, and it also takes community. Give to us all the ability to take a hard look in the mirror and the fortitude to rise to meet those opportunities that you give us. One such opportunity will be the next stewardship campaign. The theme will be that of gratitude, and so I pray that we might be aware of all the ways in which you bless and sustain us. As I have often said, money is a very powerful tool, and the only way to prevent this powerful tool from having power over us is to exercise our control over it by giving it away. Bless the work of the Stewardship Committee in the coming months as they will work to enable St. Francis to more fully respond to its call to ministry.
            But we also need each other to do this work of growing more fully into the example of Jesus. Continue to strengthen the bonds of fellowship at St. Francis. When conflicts arise, let the power of sharing in a meal together around your altar recharge and reunite them. When life seems to be full of too many obstacles, let that bread and wine nourish all of our bodies and souls.
            When in the person of Jesus, you came to earth and most fully showed us your love and taught us, you said that "the Kingdom of God is among you." This has been the cornerstone of my theology, preaching, and ministry. The dream that you have for each of us, and for all of us together, is a present possibility. In each moment, with each decision, we can further your Kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. As the patron for this parish prayed, "Lord, make us instruments of your peace." That is, help us to further your mission and your Kingdom.

            Bless the people of St. Francis. Bless Tyler, Ellie, and I as we move to Salisbury. Help us to say goodbye. Bless the people of St. Luke's, and help us as we join that community. Glory to God who, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine. Glory to him from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus our Lord for ever and ever. Amen.