Sunday, July 31, 2016

July 31, 2016 - Proper 13C


In the name of God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.
            Last Sunday, I preached a sermon on the topic of prayer, as the Gospel text presented us with the Lord’s Prayer. But more than a handful of you asked me, “What in the world was going on in that reading from Hosea?” I was planning to preach on Hosea this week all along, but since there was so much interest last Sunday, allow me to recap our reading from Hosea last week as a way of moving into this week’s verses from that same book.

            Hosea was a prophet roughly at the time when Israel was conquered in the 8th century BC. The people of Israel had turned away from the Lord and towards other gods. The whole of the Hosea’s prophecy expresses God’s agony over this betrayal, while also affirming God’s never-ending love towards the people, despite their sins. As so last week, Hosea prophesied the words of the Lord – “Go, take for yourself a wife of whoredom and have children of whoredom.” And so Hosea did, marrying Gomer, who was about as faithful to Hosea as the people were to God. And they had a few children with iconic names, such as Lo-ruhamah, which means “not accepted” and Lo-ammi, which means “not my people.” The narrative is an allegorical interpretation of the relationship between God and Israel. God is a lover scorned who is essentially saying to the people, “Fine, you want to go have fun with those other gods? Great! Let me know how that works out for you. Let me know if they love you forever, let me know if they save you when you are in distress.”
            Just as in a marriage covenant there are expectations of fidelity and mutual affection, those expectations were a part of the covenant between God and Israel. God is portrayed here as the rejected, broken-hearted, frustrated, but always faithful spouse to Israel, who is portrayed as the affair-chasing, pleasure-seeking, cheating spouse.
Hosea though isn’t confined to use just one metaphor for describing this relationship between God and God’s people. In today’s reading from Hosea, the metaphor is no longer that of a faithful spouse and an unfaithful spouse, but that of a rebellious child and a loving parent.
            This is one of the most tender passages in the entire Bible, and if we let it, it will move our hearts. Sometimes you hear people, incorrectly, classify the Old Testament as full of images of an angry, wrath-filled God. Anytime you hear that, just remember this passage. I know it’s something that we’ve all heard before, that God is like a loving father or a loving mother, but we don’t often stop to actually dwell on the power of this image. Now, at the outset, I do want to mention that no human metaphor is perfect when it comes to God. Perhaps your relationship with your parents is strained. Perhaps you didn’t have loving parents. Perhaps you don’t have a good relationship with your children. Perhaps you don’t have children. Don’t dissect or work on the symbol of the parent-child relationship, instead, let it work on you. The point of the passage is God’s love and mercy, not the ideal parent-child relationship, so keep that in mind.
            There is a widely accepted translation of the Bible in Jewish scholarship, and it better captures some of the nuance of this passage. In that translation, God says “I fell in love with Israel when he was a child” and “I have pampered Ephraim.” When was the last time you allowed yourself to feel God’s tender love for you?
            But we, like Israel, are not always receptive to this love. Hosea records “The more I called them, the more they went from me; they kept sacrificing to the Baals, and offering incense to idols.” Parenting is hard. We only want what’s best for our children, and yet, we have to let them find it on their own. I’m the father of a toddler and an infant, but those of you with teenagers probably have a lot more direct experience with rebellion than I do. Even thinking back to my teenage years, I can only imagine how this passage must have resonated with my parents. But it’s a phrase that we’ve all heard – there is nothing a child can do to make the parent stop loving it. My daughters can disappoint me, they can anger me, they can hurt me, they can disown me, they can even hate me, but that wouldn’t change the fact that I am their father who loves them. Hosea is showing us, through this metaphor of a parent, that this is how God is. The children may wander, but God’s love remains. Even when we are stubborn, defiant, and selfish, God seeks us out.
            God says “Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk, I took them up in my arms; but they did not know that I healed them.” Becoming a parent changed me in a lot of ways, but one of those ways was to give me a much deeper understanding and appreciation of what my parents did for me. That’s just the reality of being a child, you have no idea of all the sacrifices that your parents make for you. You don’t have a sense of how your parents shifted the plans for their life, or how much money it costs, or how much of their soul they make vulnerable.
            And if this is true for human parents, how much truer it is for God. Just as Israel didn’t know how God had to make space for them, or didn’t remember how God brought them out of Egypt, or was unaware of the way that God was constantly sustaining them and loving them, so too are we often unaware of all that we should be thankful for. Our final hymn today will be “Tell out, my soul.” Pay attention to the text of this great hymn, particularly the first verse: “Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord! Unnumbered blessings give my spirit voice.” This is the reality of being a child, being the recipient of “unnumbered blessings.” The ways in which God, like a parent, makes life possible for us are unnumbered. And so we should always adopt a posture of thankfulness and humility towards God, because God has done so much for us, and we’ll never know about most of it.
            The thing that we see about God’s nature in this, and many other Biblical passage, is God’s mercy. Sometimes you’ll find this word, which in Hebrew is hesed, translated as “loving-kindness” or “steadfast love”. It is, perhaps, the most defining characteristic of God, as it captures elements of God’s mercy, love, and steadfastness. This word is used 255 times in the Old Testament, five times in Hosea, and 3 times in today’s Psalm.
            Verses 8 and 9 of the passage from Hosea show us the depths of this abiding and merciful love. These verses give us a rare glimpse into God’s own self-examination. God says “How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, O Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I treat you like Zeboiim? My heart recoils within me; my compassion grows warm and tender. I will not execute my fierce anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim; for I am God and no mortal, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come in wrath.”
            And the answer is that God can’t. God cannot give up on Israel. God chooses not wrath, but love. One theologian has said that “God cannot set aside his love any more than he can set aside his divinity.” Now, at times we may see images of God’s wrath. However, it is important to realize, while wrath may be what God does, on occasion, that God is not wrathful, but rather is mercifully loving. God says “my compassion grows warm and tender. I will not execute my fierce anger.” Love, not sin or anger, gets the last word.
            And God chooses love over wrath, not because all of a sudden Israel repented and “got it,” but rather because God chooses mercy above all else. In Israel’s history, there was a common cycle: sin-punishment-forgiveness-sin-punishment-forgiveness. But God chooses to stop that cycle once and for all by being the God who is defined by mercy, not by wrath. Again, going to the metaphor of the parent. There are some times when parents have to discipline their children, when they have to follow through on consequences of the children’s actions, when they have to let the children stumble and learn their own lessons. But this doesn’t make the parents wrathful, unloving, or absent. God says “My heart recoils within me;” this hurts God more than it does us, and any parent knows that truth. When love is rooted in our heart, then immense disappointment and pain, and even righteous anger, are possible. God is not the unmoved mover who never is hurt or changes, that’s a stone idol. Instead, God is a living God who knows, truly, what it means to love – both the joys and the sorrows that make love so lovely. How might you receive this love and mercy into your life that breaks the cycles of violence, retaliation, and self-doubt?
            Last week, Hosea captured how God is pained by our rejection, in the way that a spouse is pained by an affair. This week, Hosea shows us how God is like a parent, who loves us unconditionally and eternally, even when the child is rebellious. Through Hosea, God says “I was to them like those who lift infants to their cheeks. I bent down to them and fed them.” God is the one who bends down, coming to our level to care for us, and God is the one to lifts us up, holding us near the very heart of God. This is what Jesus is all about – God bending down to us, and lifting us up to God. God relentless pursues us as a beloved child; will you allow God to catch you?
            Take this image from Hosea into your hearts, and carry it with you this week. When it comes to God, if you see yourself as the unfaithful spouse, then let these words from Hosea dwell within you: “And I will take you for my wife forever; I will take you for my wife in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love, and in mercy.” And if you identify more with the rebellious child, hear God’s words from the final chapter of Hosea: “I will heal their disloyalty; I will love them freely.” When you forget God’s mercy and love for you, remember these words from Hosea, which some scholars suggest is a summary of the entire book: “I have been the Lord your God ever since the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior.” Know that God holds you, and everyone else, tenderly in God’s heart. In your prayers this week, thank God for that, and all the ways in which God loves you that you are unaware of. The first verse of today’s Psalm says “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, and his mercy endures for ever.” May those words be your mantra this week, and deep in your heart, may you know them to be true. Amen.