Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Time for Boot Camp

So last week I decided that my workout routine needed something new and dynamic; I needed to challenge myself and my body. I began attending Boot Camp (shameless plug- Absolute Fitness is a great place to work out) for some heart-pumping, muscle-testing exercise at 6 am. The first day, while I was sweating profusely and trying not to pass out, I thought "this is what we need at church."

Now I realize that Episcopal liturgy has been called "Pew Aerobics" for some our routines of changing stances from standing, to sitting, to kneeling throughout the service, but I have something else in mind. There are a few great things about this Boot Camp that the Church would do well to learn from-

1) Community- If I were doing an hour of intense cardio in my house, I'd be much more likely to sleep in some days because there is no accountability. I'd also be more likely to not push as hard or take longer breaks between repetitions. But in working out with others, we push each other to work harder and we know when someone isn't there. For one, we learn about what's going on in people's lives by asking "hey, didn't see you yesterday. Everything okay?," but we also build relationships with them.

2) Dedication- It takes a certain level of commitment to be at a gym by 6 am, but it is intentionally carved out time. To participate, you have to give something up- namely, sleep.

3) Results- The workouts have a purpose, getting you into shape and making you healthier. Whether our goal is to have a toned body or to loose some weight, this sort of regimented workout will help you on your way towards the goal.

I hope the direct parallels to the Christian life and worship are evident here. It's a truth that is known in most churches- small groups are what make the community. At St. Francis, we have some wonderful small groups and ministry teams, but I wonder how we might better opens these often closed groups to new members.

A renewed sense of dedication, or even change of pace, in our prayer lives can be refreshing and invigorating. I love praying the Daily Office in the context of Morning Prayer each day, but sometimes new words and techniques can take us to new places in our relationship with God. I'm reminded of a phrase I picked up at the Bollettieri Tennis Academy last year- "itensify your preparation, and increase your follow through." They were talking about training for tennis, but I think the same can be said of our prayer lives- "work hard and make sure your finish what you start." But I wonder, what things do we work harder at than prayer? Do we read more often? Spend more time watching tv? Put more energy and focus into exercise? 

Spiritual directors have often helped me to remember that all of our life is prayer. If prayer is relationship with God, then when are we not in relationship with God? Dedicating ourselves to a "spiritual boot camp" might help us to intensify our preparations throughout the day, not just when we're on our knees in prayer or reading a Bible.

And finally, what is the point of our prayer lives? What are the results we seek? Is it adoration? Is it peace? Loyalty? Something else? If you don't know why you train, then it's awfully hard to know if you're doing it. 

What does your spiritual workout look like? Where does it work? Where do you need some new routines?